Flexitallic, a £90m t/o,highly profitable gasket manufacturer. Inventor of the spiral wound gasket in 1904, they are a global name in industrial gaskets. The company operates out of Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, UK and Houston, Texas USA.
To identify the cultural and strategic common and gap challenges facing the business and make recommendations to the board. To assess their competitive position with market by analysis (using BCG Modelling) looking at products, global reach and competitive advantage. To interview staff, distributors and customers globally. In total, 87 interviews and 3 countries in order to establish clear opportunities for the business.
• Interviewed 86 Stakeholders
– Internal team UK & USA
– Customers Global
– Distributors UK & USA
• Competitor & product research & analysis global
• Positioning analysis
• Common & gap analysis
• Strategic report and presentation to global board & investors
• DNA identified through internal research that the business continued to be a leading innovator in the market. However, this message was not being broadcasted and so had become a latent message. As a result, a programme to drive this message through the marketing communications was instigated.
• Product launch – This resulted in the launch of a new product globally, which achieved its annual target in just 6 months.
• Products which were developed under Flexitallic’s patent were recommended to be reviewed each month in a ‘specials products’ sales and marketing meeting, the objective being these products have a higher margin so explore who else may buy them.
“Your ability to understand our business and market sector, in just 5 weeks is quite remarkable”